2020 New Home Design Trends – Moving into a new decade!
In 2020 new home design trends seem to reflect a desire for calm. Back in December the Pantone Color Institute proclaimed good old, Classic Blue its color of the year! Color psychology has branded this color family – stable. Maybe you’ve watched too much recent news… Maybe it’s that the smart phone you just bought will be out of date in six months. Whether its politics or planned obsolescence we can all agree we’re living in pretty hectic times. Is it any wonder that the trends we’re looking at for the new year are “soothing?”
Without further ado your trends for 2020 and beyond:
A return to nature: Biophilic Design
Homes in the next few years will seek to bring comfort through the inspiration of nature.
- When the world around us gets crazy, sometimes the most basic things give us peace. We will be embracing nature more and more in our homes. Color pallets will trend toward those found sitting on the shore. A walk in the woods could give your home a grounded natural feel too.
- It won’t just be colors taking their cues from nature. Textures and finishes will have a more realist feel to them as well. Wood beams, trim and moldings will become very popular in the next year and into the coming decade.
- We’ll see a drive to decorate with house plants. Plants add a lot of color as well as reminding us of spending time outside.
- Wall paper returns with – you guessed it – nature inspired motifs.
- Rustic feeling accessories like cane, raffia and grass cloths and rugs will be popular.
- Terrazzo tile flooring has moved to the forefront of design. It’s natural color and texture work well with biophilic design.
- Animal prints in fabrics for upholstery to throw pillows has made a strong return.
- Granite and marble appear to be on their way out. This is due to cost and maintenance. Their replacements tend to lean toward quartz or “fake marble and granite.” It feels natural without being too much work or expense.
A deeper need to connect:
A trend that has been slowly sneaking up on us begins to show in design this year. Staying home. Whether its because finances are tight or just because we just want to be able to hear each other speak, staying in or visiting friends is what we’re doing for entertainment. It’s an idea that’s seems to have some staying power too! New homes will continue to accent this idea with design. Creating spaces with socializing in mind…
- Patios and decks with plants and grills and eating areas. Features like these have always been popular. Going forward, they will become “Must Have’s”
- Open concept design continues to have a strong following.
- Home theater remains a widely requested feature.
- Cocktail/wet bar areas
Trends are great. At the end of the day, the only real trends you need to concern yourself with are the ones that make your house feel like home to you.