That depends on the size, location and options you choose. Typically it takes between 6 and 16 months to design and build your custom home. We’re committed to making your homebuilding experience one you’ll really enjoy. That means we keep a work schedule that will get you into your home in a timely manner and allows us to provide you with the quality of workmanship that we’ve built our reputation on.
Actually, we design your house together. It’s our job to get to know you and what you want. Then we can design a home that will suit your life and your style to a tee. Some people want to have our design team help them with decisions from start to finish. Others have very definite ideas about what they want in style, floorplan, square footage etc. We’re happy to help you through the process either way! You can also select of our standard floor plans. These can be built in their current layout or you can take the basic design and customize so it’s exactly what you want.
We are happy to help you build your dream home whether you dream it up with us, or you’ve already visited with another designer.
We build custom homes in the Southwest Michigan area. We can build on land you own (providing zoning and restrictions are not an issue) or on a lot in one of our neighborhoods.
Yes we can! As long as residential zoning and municipal restrictions are not an issue we are happy to build on your land.
Absolutely! You will be able to customize your home to fit your style and the way your live your life. We will work with you throughout this process to help with anything you have questions about – From color selections to security systems and anything in between, just ask. We’re here to help.
Yes! Traditional duplex condo floor plans can be moderately modified during the design phase to suit your needs; providing the floor plan is in keeping with the association. In the case of free-standing condominiums, which are more like individual homes within a condominium association, you can customize the floor plan like a regular custom house; providing it fits within the association guidelines.
We’ve been in business for more than 40 years, so there are a lot of examples of both our past and more recent work. We believe the best way to judge our performance and quality is to take a look at some of our homes. Please visit the photo gallery on our website or take a drive through any of our neighborhoods. If you’d like to see more, please call us at 269-345-3859. We’ll set up a time to visit a model home or possibly schedule a tour of one of our custom built houses.
Some of the advantages of building a new home are:
• Appreciation – in the first few years after a new home is constructed, it usually appreciates faster than an older home.
• Knowledge of the Structure – with a new home you know who the builder was, when it was built as well as the brands and materials that were used. If you need that information, to replace a broken window or add matching siding to a shed, etc. – you may have a very hard time finding it.
• Personalization – you are able to select the design that best suits your needs, make changes to fit your lifestyle and make selections that best reflect your personality. You are able to select the style and color of fixtures, finishes, cabinets, countertops and flooring instead of working around someone else’s choices; or remodeling to meet your needs.
• Low Maintenance – newly constructed homes require much less maintenance because they’re new. You do not have to worry about repairing or replacing the roof, furnace, water heater or appliances. The exterior is also lower maintenance when vinyl siding or brick is used in place of wood.
• Construction Efficiency, Quality and Safety – Today’s construction technology and techniques are much different than those used as recently as ten years ago. Homes are being built to be more efficient, safer and with materials designed to last longer. Building codes and safety regulations are always being upgraded. New construction homes must be built at or above the very latest standards.
• Warranty – each new home purchased from Watts Homes & Construction comes with a 1-year warranty. A copy of the warranty is always provided to our clients. You (or the seller) have to purchase a separate warranty from a third party provider for a previously owned home.
This is one of the most asked questions that any builder receives. It’s also one of the hardest to answer in general terms… Each home is designed around your lifestyle and what’s important to you in a home. Different features and finishes have different costs associated with them. The cost of your new home will depend on the style, floorplan, lot you choose and the interior selections you’ll make.
Construction loans are a little different than conventional mortgages. Once the bank approves the loan, they operate on a “draw” system. We contact your lender when certain completion points are achieved. The lender sends an independent appraiser to the job site to verify the work has been completed and then issues a check to us so we can continue construction on your home. You can speak with someone where you bank or we can put you in touch with one of our preferred lenders. They can thoroughly explain the financing process step by step.
This amount will depend on the type of mortgage. Some loans require 3.5%, 5%, 10% or 20% for the down payment. Closing costs will also depend upon the type of loan and if you are able to finance the closing costs. This information should be discussed with a mortgage loan officer. He/she will be able to discuss the different loan options available to you as well as provide you with a good faith estimate.
Getting power, water, natural gas, sewer/septic and phone and internet connections to your home is very important. Because we provide a one year warranty on your home, we handle the contracting and installation of your utilities. We get the permits and hire the utility contractors. The services are kept in our name until the point you close on your new home. It’s not an extra charge, it’s included in the cost of the house.
Yes. The work necessary to get your site ready for building and concrete work are done before the weather and temperatures become an issue. Most of the remaining work (like framing, mechanicals, HVAC, insulation, etc.) is not contingent on the weather.
Yes. We offer a one year warranty on the workmanship of the home. The complete warranty is included with your contract documents so you know from the beginning what is and isn’t covered as well as tips to help you maintain your home for many years. We perform warranty service twice during the warranty period.
Yes. Watts Homes & Construction works with the Watts Realty Team of Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Michigan Real Estate. They are licensed Realtors® and can help you to get your existing home sold.